Friday, January 10, 2014

Adapted Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I made Martha Stewart's Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies way back in late 2011. With Kara and I in the dying throes of yet another cold, we've been staying indoors a lot this week and I thought today would be a good opportunity to veganize the recipe.

First off, I halved the ingredients, because I wasn't willing to be saddled with approximately 30 cookies if I didn't like the results. I estimated the 1 ¼ cups of all purpose flour, used Earth Balance margarine in place of the butter, substituted the brown sugar with the coconut sugar I had on-hand, and used 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed in 2 Tbsp of water (it was supposed to be 3 Tbsp -- oops!) for the egg. As with the Vegan Blondies recipe I recently developed, the addition of flax seed turned out well. I think these cookies turned out slightly more caramel-like than the egg-based chocolate chip cookies I've made, which is a welcome addition. This recipe's a keeper!

Jan 26/14 Update: I made up a batch yesterday with the recommended ratio of water to ground flax seed and prefer the earlier version.

No comments:

Post a Comment