Thursday, July 16, 2015

Sadly...

...this looks much better than it tastes.

I've heard great things about Bunner's, a Kensington Market-based vegan, gluten-free bakery (helpful for the ever-growing roster of g/f friends I have -- you know, with a genuine gluten sensitivity, rather than a willingness to follow fads) and have wanted to make the trip to sample their goods for months. I have yet to go, but a trip to Indigo on the weekend provided me with a copy of their cookbook! Eager to get testing, I purchased the ingredients which I didn't already have in my heavily-vegan pantry and got working on their strawberry cake. As a caveat, I completely omitted the arrowroot flour called for in the recipe, so my results are undoubtedly atypical. Nonetheless, this cake is much denser than I would have liked; it's much more like a banana bread than a "white" cake. I know that density is the bane of gluten-free baked goods, but was hopeful that the xanthan gum called for in the recipe would offset that considerably. I didn't.

So I think I'm going to forgo further experiments in gluten-free cakes for now, but given my recent success with developing my own gluten-free brownies, I think I'll attempt to make some of the cookies in the book next. After all, a dense cookie isn't nearly as egregious as a non-fluffy cake.

P.S. I vastly prefer the vegan buttercream in this book over the equivalent recipe in the other vegan baked goods recipe book I own. As long as I remember to add a generous pinch of salt in each case, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment