Wednesday, May 11, 2016

More homemade bao

I think I've gotten the hang of making homemade bao. I actually remembered to account for the second rise this time, so I have much fluffier bao than my previous attempt. Also, this batch used all-purpose flour, rather than the bread flour I used last time. I think I'll switch back next time, I prefer the chew I get from using bread flour. I purchased a bamboo steamer basket from the local Seasons Foodmart yesterday and set to work on my most recent batch of bao today. I got the 18 cm steamer and can find two large, folded bao in it. They take about 20 minutes to steam-bake.

The first two out of the basket were filled with dairy-free Buffalo chicken sauce, a homemade coconut-based mayo (which I omitted from the third bao — it's too sour when paired with the other acidic ingredients), fresh cilantro, carrot do chua and pan-seared chicken breast.

It was a helluva brunch and I'm looking forward to having more over the course of the next couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment