Sunday, June 5, 2016

Dairy-free lasagna?!

I daresay I'm getting better at making vegan cheese. Last week's attempt was another kick at the proverbial Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella can. This time, my medium of choice was sunflower seeds and I used the last of that week's batch of homemade coconut yogurt. The method was as per Miyoko Schinner's mozzarella recipe, but my quantities differed as follows:
  • ~4½ c. soaked and drained sunflower seeds
  • ~½ c. coconut yogurt
  • 1 c. canola oil
  • 1 T. sea salt
  • 1 T. genmai miso
  • water omitted due to adding water during blending to result in smoother consistency
  • 2 c.(?!) tapioca flour
  • 1 t. Kappa carageenan
Obviously, quintupling the general quantities resulted in a helluva lot of vegan mozzarella, so I've spent a good portion of the week having grilled "cheese" sandwiches, spreading it on crackers and topping pizzas with it. When we still had some leftover pizza ingredients by the week-end, I decided to use them up in a primavera-esque sauce (to which I also added 1 lb. of ground beef that we had in the freezer), and cooked up about half of our box of whole wheat lasagna noodles to toss everything into the first lasagna I've eaten in probably a decade or longer.

It was really good! The vegan cheese ends up behaving very similarly to ricotta. The first bite definitely carries a moment's hint of sunflower seed's bitterness, but from there, it adds a lovely smooth, creamy texture and flavour to the dish. I finished up the last of it for brunch this morning!

Update: freezing improves the texture of the vegan mozzarella! The lone ball that I froze came out of the freezer on Sunday night and was used yesterday, Monday, June 6th, on a grilled cheese and it was less wet than the balls which had gone directly into the fridge. Good to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment