Thursday, June 16, 2016

Refined sugar-free trifle!

We had some berries and coconut yogurt to use up in the fridge yesterday, so I thought I'd try my hand at taking another run at making a date-sweetened cake with the ultimate goal of making trifle.

Here's the recipe for the cake:

  • ⅔ c. coconut milk
  • ½ t. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 c. packed pitted Medjool dates, soaked and drained
  • ⅓ c. canola oil
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. packed all-purpose flour (I used Robin Hood Nutri Flour Blend - Tastes like White)
  • ¾ t. baking powder
  • ½ t. baking soda
  • ¼ t. salt

Preheat oven to 325° F. In a food processor, pulse to combine all of the wet ingredients. In a separate, large bowl, blend the dry ingredients. Scrape the wet ingredients into the dry and fold to combine well (but do not overmix). Pour the batter into a 9"x9" non-stick baking pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cake smells done (sorry, that's as scientific as I get with baking these days!). This is another cake which fails the toothpick test — I find that date-sweetened cakes lose a lot of flavour and moisture if you bake them until they pass the toothpick test.

So, both the cake and the trifle were fantastic. I will absolutely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment