Sunday, March 27, 2016

When life Miriam hands you lemons...

...make vegan lemon curd-filled doughnuts!

Matt's had the flu for the past week, while Kara and I have had lesser colds. Given Matt's generally horrible state of being during this time, we thought it best to try to make arrangements to get the grocery shopping done yesterday without his help. Fortunately, Miriam very graciously allowed us to make use of too much of her time and her vehicle yesterday, so we were able to get that task addressed. In addition to being helpful, Miriam dropped off a bag of six Meyer lemons.

Well, the previously-blogged Bunner's cookbook happens to have a vegan lemon curd recipe. I noted it when I first went through the publication and dreamed wistfully of being able to procure some Meyer lemons, so it didn't take long for me to find "just the thing" to do with said lemons. The lemon curd turns out more like a gooey sauce, but the flavour is spot-on. I will absolutely make it again.

And, of course, if you're going to have a batch of lemon curd on hand, it doesn't take much imagination to decide to pair it with vegan doughnuts. I'm getting progressively better at making these, incidentally.

I've individually-wrapped the remaining, ungarnished doughnuts in plastic wrap and popped those into a large zipper-seal bag in the freezer. Some of my previous attempts at making these have proven that you can make them like-fresh if you re-heat them in the toaster oven for a few minutes before topping them and consuming. I hope this works, because trying to find things to do with a dozen doughnuts over the course of a few days can be trying when one is trying to avoid consuming refined sugar frequently. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and here's a picture of the utterly glorious remaining lemon curd (note the flecks of rind that I couldn't resist tossing in):

No comments:

Post a Comment